Thanks, Scott. Great ideas. I didn't know about the catsplf utility. I'll use that. No QSH on the V4R5 box, though, so I'll have to work around that. Also a great idea with WRKOUTQ from QSH and pipe results to a file. Might also work with WRKSPLF as all the spooled files have a unique userid but not a unique outq.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:24 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Parse Spooled Files

hi Dan,

In recent releases QShell has a 'catsplf' utility that can be used to
read a spooled file (which in turn could be piped to the grep command.)
Unfortunately, I don't think this existed at V4R5. (Though, it might
be worth going into QShell and typing the catsplf command to see if it
exists.) It definitely exists at 7.1, however....

$ catsplf -j 123456/MYUSER/MYJOB SPLFNAME SPLFNO

You would need to get a list of the spooled files, though, you'll need
the jobid, spooled file name and spooled file number to use catsplf (or
CPYSPLF for that matter.) A simple way to do that in a one-off program
might be to use WRKOUTQ command. If you run this via QShell, it'll
automatically take the *PRINT option and redirect the spooled file to
the screen, so from QShell, you'd do

$ system 'WRKOUTQ OUTQ(The-OutQ)'

You'd then need to write a loop to spin through the output of that
command, which would be pretty easy to do in a shell script.

-SK