hi Dan,

In recent releases QShell has a 'catsplf' utility that can be used to read a spooled file (which in turn could be piped to the grep command.) Unfortunately, I don't think this existed at V4R5. (Though, it might be worth going into QShell and typing the catsplf command to see if it exists.) It definitely exists at 7.1, however....

You would need to get a list of the spooled files, though, you'll need the jobid, spooled file name and spooled file number to use catsplf (or CPYSPLF for that matter.) A simple way to do that in a one-off program might be to use WRKOUTQ command. If you run this via QShell, it'll automatically take the *PRINT option and redirect the spooled file to the screen, so from QShell, you'd do

$ system 'WRKOUTQ OUTQ(The-OutQ)'

You'd then need to write a loop to spin through the output of that command, which would be pretty easy to do in a shell script.