From earlier posts, I think OP is wanting a program that will monitor an Exchange mailbox and fetch mail from it to the IBMi machine so it can be processed by a native program running on IBMi. POP3 is the protocol widely used for that purpose. One can also use IMAP, but it is more complicated.

SMTP is not used in fetching mail from a post office server, only for sending mail to one. SMTP really pays no attention at all to the part of an address before the "@". SMTP listens on port 25 or 587. If SMTP receives a message addressed to a different server, it is supposed to resend the message, though we usually stop this as it creates an "open relay".

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ken Sims
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:29 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: i5 text message solution

Hi Paul -

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:15:51 -0400, "Steinmetz, Paul"
<PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ken,

Do know what needs to be setup on the i5 so I can forward an email from Exchange to a POP3 i5 mailbox, mail will then reside on IFS /QTCPTMM/MAIL/New box to be created.
Is this correct?

Thanks
Paul

Sorry, I've never done anything with mail coming in to an i, just mail going out (for which I wrote my own SMTP daemon).

In general terms, you will need an SMTP server job running on the i to accept the incoming email from the Exchange server and store it somewhere, whether it be IBM's SMTP server or someone else's.

As I believe someone else already mentioned, it's that SMTP server which decides where and how the email is stored. If you are going to access the email store directly, then POP3 doesn't figure into it at all.

Ken
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or anyone in their right mind.