From: James H. H. Lampert <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 18:01:52 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: What's up with this?!? Re: Another JDBC (and by extension, JDBCR4) meta-data retrieval question

I just ran a test on a ResultSetMetaData object.

First, I exposed the JDBC ResultSetMetaData.getSchemaName() and
getTableName() methods in my copy of JDBCR4 -- after the last couple of
methods I had to expose, these are TINKERTOYS!

They returned nothing!

So then I brought up Eclipse, and called them from Java:

for (int i=1; i <= rsmd.getColumnCount(); i++)
System.out.println(rsmd.getColumnName(i) + " "
+ rsmd.getColumnLabel(i)+ "|"
+ rsmd.getSchemaName(i)+ "|" + rsmd.getTableName(i));

STILL NOTHING:

CUNMBR CUNMBR||
CUSORT CUSORT||
CUNAME CUNAME||
CUADD1 CUADD1||
CUADD2 CUADD2||
. . .

What's up with that?!?

A Google search on "ResultSetMetaData.getTableName() returns nothing"
gave me results that indicate that apparently, these methods are
suffering from poor or nonexistent implementations in A LOT of JDBC drivers.

Which brings me back to the question of how to find a view's based-on
table(s), in a way that's pure JDBC, and DBMS-neutral.

--
JHHL