Presumably then, that could be how the "special handling PTFs" are "used", to effect the apply irrespective of the INSTYP setting? According to the INSPTF doc:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/cl/insptf.htm
_i Install Program Temporary Fix (INSPTF) i_
"Where allowed to run: All environments (*ALL)
The Install Program Temporary Fix (INSPTF) command allows the user to load and apply PTFs for multiple products with a single command. PTF groups will be copied to the system when they do not already exist on the system or when the level of the PTF group on the media is higher than the level of the PTF group that exists on the system. If LICPGM(*ALL) is specified, any _special handling PTFs_ listed in PTF groups will be _used_ during the install.
..."

Because Rob experienced ill-effects, it would seem problematic that there is no warning in the documentation that the effect of those "special handling PTFs" might defeat the *DLYALL specification for the Install Type (INSTYP). Yet arguably, that condition was warned of in the Cover Letter. Hmmm, I suppose someone who was impacted would best decide if the INSPTF should have a "Note:" added, warning that what was seen in the described scenario might be cause for concern; perhaps directing the reader to review the cover letter to see what might be applied *IMMMED irrespective of the request to *DLYALL.?.?

Regards, Chuck