Yes but I don't want to do that - it may cause future maintenance headaches and adds even more names where there are already too many names. Surely I can tell SQL to use the Iseries 10-byte short name? But how?

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Richter
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:32 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: SQL: how to use short names

you can rename the columns in the sql so they have the same name in both

select c1name custname
from custmast1
union all
select c2name custname
from custmast 2 ;

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Stone, Joel <Joel.Stone@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How do I tell SQL to use short (10 byte) names instead of alias field

Issue: I am CREATEing a table with a union and SQL errors out because the
ALIAS field names are not identical between the two union input files. But
the 10-byte names are identical.

This outbound email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs
Skyscan service.
For more information please visit