I can't help with identifying the A vs B model. Sorry.

I am sure many of us are curious though. Why would you want a 9 track
tape capability? If just because you want to rival "Dr. Franken", go for
it.

Do you have a business partner that only supports data interchange via 9
track tape? If so, can you share who?

Or, are you wanting to migrate tapes to newer media? If so, you might be
better off just querying the list for someone who can help you out. Gone
are the days when I used to have about 4-5 different tape drives (and 8"
diskette) on one machine. Now I am down to DVD and either LTO3 or LTO4
(depending on location).