Hi Lance -

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 01:03:24 +0000, Lance Gillespie
<LGillespie@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

We have four ip addresses configured. Is there a way to tell which one is
listening on port 25? Or is that a nonsensical question in the tcp world?

You can use NETSTAT and select to view connections, but typically
services listen on all IP addresses unless specifically configured

To address Kirk's comments, it's still SMTP for incoming mail to a
mail server. So the inability to connect using TELNET with port 25 is
a bad sign. However port 25 is often restricted by firewalls and
routers, so there may be something blocking port 25, particularly if
the i and whatever you were testing from are not on the subnet so that
a router is involved.

A client program can use POP to pick up its mail from a server.
However based on your comment about parsing files in a directory, I
think POP is irrelevant for you.