I forgot to mention there is a European version of the Advisory Council as well as the Americas one.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 12/3/2012 6:11 AM, Jim Oberholtzer wrote:
This is is the easy part of the answer. IBM provides investment
guarantees to you when you buy your system, they don't break old code.
They will re-encapsulate it, run it in a less efficient way, run it in
an emulator of sorts, but they will not intentionally break it. Clearly
they don't quite make 100% but it's damned close to it.

A second reason is investment money. IBM spends a good deal of money to
build the systems but in the end they are a business, and the investment
money in new feature/function has to make a return. The requirements
are driven by the Large Users Group (LUG) and the COMMON Americas'
Advisory Council (CAAC).

A third component is hardware. Many functions have to wait for
processor support in order to be implemented in an efficient way. That
continues to be true today and why you see the Technology Refreshes. As
hardware steps up to support things, then feature/function is added via
the TRs. All very cool when you think of it.