Brian,

I have a customer using the $199 Google Nexus 7 tablets with Bluetooth scan wedges. They bought a special case for the tablet that straps it to the user's forearm. They are very happy with the result.

Out of curiosity, which BT scan wedge did they settle on?

I have a customer which had implemented the Linea Pro scanner sled for the 3rd generation iPod Touch for handheld mobile scanning. This was in a sales environment, not a warehouse, so being ruggedized for tall drops to concrete was not much of an issue. This is the scanner sled that was originally custom designed for Apple for use in their retail stores (and still is), if you've seen what Apple retail uses. It is rugged enough for an indoor carpeted sales environment.

Anyway, it was form fitted to the 3rd generation model, and they later came out with models to fit the 4th generation iPod Touch and the iPhone 4. One button on the 4S moved about 1mm, so it doesn't even fit exactly right on the 4S now.

They have yet to do an iPod Touch 5 or iPhone 5 version, which makes my customer wonder if being form fitted to a device is good long term. I added camera based scanning for sales reps who insist on the later iPhone/iPod generations, but as others noted, it is more suited for casual scanning then in a commercial environment. One obvious option would be to use a BT scan wedge instead.

So I am curious if there is one you found works particularly well, or for that matter, some you found are problematic.

Doug