Sam,

First, I work for a company that has a telnet emulator designed for wireless environments. We do not sell or endorse any hardware solution. That said, there are several hardware vendors that make a "sled" that iPods, iPhones, and to a lesser extent iPads fit into that has a 1D, or 2D scanner built into it. We have found that the internal camera scanner is best suited for casual scanning. Also, these devices are consumer grade and would not likely survive an industrial environment such as warehouses for very long. I've also feel that display should be formatted to fit on the reduced screen sizes that mobile devices offer. That is sometimes easier said than done.

Dan...

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sam_L
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:59 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Replacement for 5250 Emulating Gun Scanners

We use barcode scanning guns with 5250 emulation in the warehouses.
Limitation of 22x15 screen can be frustrating at times.

The guns are aging and before we invent in any more we are considering if we can get improved functionality and a larger screen with a scanner plugged in to an iPhone or iPod touch, or some other smart phone.

Is anyone doing 5250 emulation with a scanner on a smart phone or other similar sized hand held device?

Sam