I will say the general recommendation is to NOT query against the logical
files but to query against the tables themselves.

I differ on that in some respects. If you create a view that really
cleans up the data so that the user can query and:
- have better column names like ItemNumber versus IIMF01 (for field 01 of
the IIM file)
- Not have to join a bunch of files together when the view does that for
them.
- Not have to calculate common stuff when the view can do it itself by
either calculating itself or calling a UDF that does.
Then your users will be much happier.