Re: Using a VTL (as in remote VTL)

fixed

Jack,

I don't specifically know about the cybernetics but I have customers with EMC and Crossroads SPHiNX VTLs. With these units the connection to the VTL from the POWER System is usually Fiber or SAS. With SAS you need to be very close. With Fiber you need a very robust infrastructure to move data more than 'campus wide'. A couple of my customers have private fiber that goes a few miles and use that infrastructure to back up to 'remote' VTLs.

Beyond remote VTLs most use the local VTL and let that unit Replicate the data over an IP network to the remote site. Of course this takes additional time but the backup is done locally quickly and made available remotely as bandwidth allows.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis