I can't answer for "might", but I did change an entry and had no problems.
Sean Porterfield

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:30
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: When does a change to the TCP host table take effect?

For a new entry yes. If there is an existing entry that might have ARP cached with the old address, it could take a bit to update all the ARP
cache entries. IBM i updates by default every 15 minutes. You can
force the ARP cache to clear and have it take effect more quickly.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects