I kinda like the concept but doesn't copy file already effectively
provide this ? Or are you thinking along the lines that maybe
save/restore operation could add some optimization into the mix?

Also, if you're not going to restore deleted recods why save them ?
Maybe the save can be optimized to not pick them up.

At a guess I think this would slow either the restore or save down as
it would essentially have to write or read table rows instead of disk
pages, but worth asking the quesion.