The problem I have with "emergency" bypasses is that everyone considers
their situation an emergency. But maybe our levels are simple. If you
had a level where you couldn't promote to production until the controller
approved the test results then I can see an "emergency" bypass. In our
shop the same person can check out an item, promote from development to
test and then promote it from test to production. And it's fast enough,
and the emergency factor had better be rare enough, that it takes the
developer more time to remember how to use the emergency bypass than it
takes to just run it through the cycle.