Apparently they took a 6.1 ptf and made it into this 7.1 ptf, because the
cover letter for this ptf could use some work:

APAR Error Description / Circumvention
Customers reporting SAV performance degradation after moving to
V6R1M0

That one's been on our system since after the save on March. March save
and June save were similar. September save was markedly improved with the
new hardware. But, checking to see if a ptf was a contributing factor is
a valid check. After all, I was gung ho for SSD's after seeing their
effect with our data in Rochester only to be dismayed by the actuallity.
There, the difference was that we didn't journal in Rochester and adding
the HA Journal Performance option back at home was a far better bang for
the buck.