Ok, we've already established that rolling off after an interval is
acceptable.

Knowing that, let me ask, how long do you keep your journal receivers?
Because you could use an API like:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/apis/QJORRCVI.htm
to get these attributes if you still have the receivers.

Failing that, you could log when a receiver changes by using this exit
point:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/apis/xchgrcv.htm

pros of the first one: No data area, table, etc maintenance required.