Great to hear it's possible, Jack. Care to elaborate on _how_ one would
post updates to the 5250 screen (barring status messages, which are too
limited to satisfy the need) without flicker, flash, or disruption to user
input? That is a challenge for which I have never seen a solution with the
(naturally-blocking) 5250 display.

Dennis Lovelady
"Never lend books, for no one ever returns them. The only books I have in
my library are those that other folks have lent me."
-- Anatole France

Not only possible with RPG and 5250- it's been possible since IBM
enabled display files to post status changes to data queues. FWIW, I
believe that feature was introduced on the System 38 from the research
I did supporting an such an application 12 years ago. Said app was at
least 10 years old at that time.

Was an undocumented maintenance nightmare until I used object auditing
to trace through the event chains, but I came to appreciate it as one
of the most elegant designs I've seen implemented on the platform.

... for this kind of application, you would need 2 parts:
- a runtime supporting registration of listeners (windows, xwindows
something comparable as Javascript based for a browser interface)
- a programming language supporting Multithreading (remark: rpg with
is not possible)
most of this is done with Java, C# and C++

unsubscribe, or change list options,
moment to review the archives at