Interesting article here:

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 3, 2012, at 6:35 AM, Jack Callahan <jjcllhn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not only possible with RPG and 5250- it's been possible since IBM enabled
display files to post status changes to data queues. FWIW, I believe that
feature was introduced on the System 38 from the research I did supporting
an such an application 12 years ago. Said app was at least 10 years old at
that time.

Was an undocumented maintenance nightmare until I used object auditing to
trace through the event chains, but I came to appreciate it as one of the
most elegant designs I've seen implemented on the platform.

... for this kind of application, you would need 2 parts:
- a runtime supporting registration of listeners (windows, xwindows or
something comparable as Javascript based for a browser interface)
- a programming language supporting Multithreading (remark: rpg with 5250
is not possible)
most of this is done with Java, C# and C++