Event-based actions

fixed

This seems simple enough yet I am stumbling all over the school yard with it.

This has to do with event-based actions versus waiting for the Enter key to be pressed or for a timer to run out..

This is a fairly simplistic case, but it should serve to demonstrate the problem I am trying to solve.

Lets say a desktop gadget displays the local temperature. When the temperature changes, the gadget changes the display. As I understand it, this is accomplished by a "listener" that "listens" for a temperature change event from the mother ship. It is not a timer that periodically checks to see what the temperature is. When the listener hears that the temperature has changed, it alerts the desktop gadget and my desktop display shows the new temperature. As I said, this is a simplistic case.

So, in midrange world, how do I mimic the behavior of a listener and of events?

This may not be well presented. For that I apologize. Of course, if I understood the issue better I probably would also know the answer, right? ;) If you have questions, please ask. That may help me explain my issue better.