I have found that windows is semi-stupid in drive mappings to non-windows systems. I do not know this for sure but it appears that windows will try and try and try the password the user used to logon to the PC when attempting to doing the drive mapping which a lot of times disables the iSeries account. I don't know it does not just try once and then ask for a different password if it does not work. The only way I have found to not have problems is to be sure the Windows password and iSeries password are identical. The username does not appear to be as much of an issue as windows will remember the username used to setup the mapping. My windows username and iSeries username are not the same but the passwords are and I never have an issue with drive mappings. Others in my office who keep their passwords different (they don't trust active directory to keep password secure) have problems all the time. We do have our iSeries setup to accept long passwords

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Bipes
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 11:45 AM
To: 'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: Drive Mapping Headache

One problem we have here is MixEd case passwords. Our iSeries have not been updated to handle mixed case passwords. Yes the use types the password on the "Green Screen" as mixed case, but we all know that it is an upper case only field. ;)

But the Network does support MixEd case so the passwords really do not match. Second problem is "1password". Which on the iSeries becomes Q1PASSWORD. Type from a green screen and the Q is automatically inserted. From other methods, no Q. Make sure the password does not start with a number.

But then again, depending on how you have your system value set for password level, this may all be mute.

--
Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services