Having done a SAVE 21 as a 'Just in Case' is reasonable, but consider:

Jerry mentioned the cache battery was dead. This combined with a missing drive means this save is going to take a l-o-n-g time and seriously stress the remaining disk units during that time. This means you'd be operating that much longer with a dead drive and if another, aging unit, fails you're toast. Being the LS is the dead guy you really do have to restore at that point. If the save hadn't completed before the second disk failure then all you have is, well, nuthin.

I have done so very many disk unit replacements that I would have done what Jim said initially: Concurrent maintenance out the dead guy, install the replacement, start the rebuild. On 35GB drives that's maybe a 45 minute rebuild (likely more with aforementioned dead cache battery.) That is the expected path for a disk failure, get it repaired as soon as possible to prevent a second failure from being fatal. [This is the entire reason for hot spare!]

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis