Apparently with Version 8, you can't use the Installation Manager from a PC... You are required to install Installation Manager on the iSeries and use the QSHELL command line interface in order to install WAS...

Is that a step backwards or what ?

Reply from: Kenneth E Graap

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:38 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Installing WebSphere Application Server Express V8.0 on an iSeries at version 6.1.1

That's true, and has been true for WAS for some time. It's best if you have a PC on the same switch/network as the IBM i box. You'll start the installation manager on the PC and follow the prompts. It's easy once you get to that point. Call it about 45 minutes assuming a 100Mb network. A bit faster for 1Gb.

I also have dumped the two (WAS 7 anyway) disk images into the IFS and set up a share and run it from there. Adds about 30% to the install time.

Remember to apply the PTF group after the installation. If that's all you install no IPL should be needed. There IS a special handling PTF.
You have to go into the IFS using QSH and run the update script. You'll find the exact location and name of the script in the job log of the job that applies the PTFs. That job will not look like it is doing anything but trust me it is. If you check out active jobs you'll see many jobs forked from that one QSH session. Wait for it to finish. About another
40 minutes usually.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects