I was really lucky. The file is just a container for incomplete
records that need a field coded. An extremely simple RPG program
reads the file, and if the lone field has been updated in the main
files, the record gets written to a transmittal file. No possibility
of record locks. The more I think about it, even if I had not removed
the duplicates, the vendor would have received two idential update
records, so there really wasn't an issue - except for the sloppiness.

Thanks so much for all the ideas.

John McKee