We used to regularly perform 'clickerectomies' on the 5251 keyboards, especially for the keypunch department-- they could key faster if they just felt the tactile feedback from the keyboard instead of listening for the 'thunk' of the clicker (thunker?). It was a 'proven' fact (I think there was actually a study somewhere), and the keypunchers asked for the change.

The clicker/thunker was not quite out-of-sight of one of the holes under the keyboard, and pulling off one of the slip-on wires was all it took. Turning it back on, however...

The 5251 keyboard was designed by the same folks who created the Selectric keyboard-- key switches, contoured keytops, nice layout. Never been a keyboard like it!

Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

One thing I would add to the 5251-11 "cool" list would be the keyboard. For
some reason I could type faster on that monster than any keyboard before or
since. Or maybe the tactile clicks just made it seem faster, quien sabe.