Hi Pete

The first solution is basically what Rob said - you have to specify the complete length - plus an extra byte beyond the length of the parameter. This gets tough when your parameter is more than a couple thousand characters!

I believe that when you use RQSDTA, you have to give it the full padded length for each parameter - you just don't need the extra non-blank byte. With the CMD parameter of SBMJOB, trailing blanks are stripped (unless you do what you are saying), while trailing blanks are left alone with RQSDTA.

The example from Midrange Guru that I cite in my wiki speaks of using RQSDTA and has a simple example. It uses variables of the same length as the parameters and concatenates them in full into the CALL command - I've not tried this with trimmed values - I suspect those will behave like literals, but I leave this as an exercise for others right now!

I like putting a command front end on things - makes life all so much easier here.

Vern