I DID use the "add and balance". And it automatically did it twice.
Job log from job that started it:
Job 514520/ROB/DSP01 started on 07/26/11 at 14:03:53
QSYS. Job entered system on 07/26/11 at 14:03:53.
Message queue ROB is allocated to another job.
STRSST
wrkdsksts
signoff
Job 514520/ROB/DSP01 ended on 07/26/11 at 15:54:58;

DSPLOG
07/26/11-15:50:23: ASP balancing successfully started for ASP 1.
07/26/11-19:55:55: ASP balancing for ASP 1 ended.
07/26/11-19:55:55: ASP balancing successfully started for ASP 1.
07/26/11-20:23:38: ASP balancing for ASP 1 ended.

The ONLY other interactive type job during that time was Job
514488/PEGGY/GDSL621. While Peggy has that authority and is a great
operator when it comes to following a script she has a small comfort zone
and she would NEVER run STRSST or STRASPBAL and hasn't written CL in over
a decade. She get's on there just to get her BRMS stuff and that's it.

Job load is tough to measure. This a Mimix backup lpar for another lpar
on a different box in a different city. The same jobs are all that runs
"Did we get any journal entries, if so, post them". Reads are at a
minimum. No interactive, no batch. Where I really noticed the
performance was in the nightly BRMS backup. Added HOURS to the run.
Granted, the first night it was still balancing the disk drive. Backup
started at 17:30 and the balance didn't finish until 20:23. Following
night was still about 1.5 hours longer than prior to adding the disk arm.
After the *USAGE balance we're down to only an additional 20 minutes.