As Chuck points out, lowercase a-z are variant in EBCDIC. Code page 290 (and
CCSID 5026 which is based on CP 290) do not have a-z where one would
traditionally expect (you will find Katakana at the traditional a-z code
points). And to also confirm his reference to the double quote, most EBCDIC
code pages have the double quote at x'7F'. Turkish CCSID 5026 however has
capital letter U with diaeresis ( Ü at this code point.
I am not aware of any problem (related to variance) with < though.

Bruce