You might imagine it, but that doesn't make it so. They are two different beasts.

IPv6 does not do ARP. It does not have NAT. It doesn't need them. But it does support router advertisements (RA) and automatic assignment of a unique IPv6 address based on the advertised prefix from the router and the construction of the host portion using the MAC of the device.

IPv6 works the way the internet was supposed to... each and every unique device has a unique address. Every address is global.

You firewall with filtering only.

It's not a panacea, but it's better (IMO) than dealing with overlapping private addresses. You people... you know who you are, that all used 10.1.1.0/24 are killing me... <lol>

Go ahead and try to get to ipv6.google.com without a tunnel.

You can get a tunnel from a tunnel broker and then place a router inside your firewall, open the tunnel through the firewall and then let the inside router select the path for IPv4 or IPv6. I have had these running from my office and a customer's office for more than a year now.

I have seen Verizon deploy ipv6 on their Wireless Broadband in certain areas.

IPv4 assignable /8 address blocks from the registries are gone. It's now a scavenger hunt.

While we are on the subject, I don't mean for this to be an advertisement, but Hurricane Electric has an on-line educational "certification" course for IPv6. IF you REALLY want to know about it, take the course. It's self guided and forces you to research the answers as well as actually establish all the parts necessary to
participate with the IPv6 world.

And as for the 6bone... that terminated on 6/6/6. It's all live now brotha...