Chances are VERY good that's the RAID card driving the external disk drawer. :-) Do option 9 against the DCxx line and you should see the 12 external disks listed. The 572C is likely it's redundant cache.

As such, You'll need to get the RAID card for the 8203 as well as the disk unit.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

On 4/11/2011 2:09 PM, Midrange Information wrote:
I did the WRKHDWRSC command and it shows a type-model of 572F-001 and
another 572C-001.

I compared this to another E4A system and what you suggested should show up,
did.
How do I find out if this (572F) is a RAID card?

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 8:59 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 8203 E4A adding disks

Dave,

First you must assure there is a RAID card installed in the System
unit or the disks there won't be protected. You can do that several ways
but the easiest is to do WRKHDWRSC *STG and look for a 'Type-model' of
57B8-001 which will be the internal RAID card. You should also see it's
cache mirror the 57B7-001. If you see those then the process will be
quite simple.

If you can power the system down, use this path:

1) Pwrdwnsys
2) Install the 6 disks in the system unit.
3) Set the IPL to Manual
4) IPL to DST
5) Work with Disk Units
6) Work with Device Parity Protection
7) Start RAID
8) When that finishes, use Add Devices to existing ASP and Balance
9) Complete the IPL to IBM i.
10) Remember to set the IPL back to Normal.

If you cannot power the system down, let us know and 'alternative
instructions' will follow.

If you DO NOT see the FC #57B8 and B7 cards then you will also want
to order those. Installing them will absolutely require the system to be
powered off.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis