To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 16:59
Subject: Re: 9406-720 Internal Battery Self Test

It would absolutely be valid to use it for that purpose.

Remember some things to consider however:

1) RUnning PWDDWNSYS *IMMED when the system has been sitting in
restricted state will be EL-QUICKO compared to having 2000 jobs running,
thousands of open files, and dirty RAID caches all around. You MUST
understand how long it takes YOUR system to do PWRDWNSYS when running
full song.
- Allow for this amount of time PLUS a good cushion.

2) Consider if you want to run your UPS down to it's last Watt or
not. Think about what happens when the power comes back on, do you want
some battery left so that it's OK to start the system back up fairly
soon or not? Years ago my co-manager (who was in charge of hardware)
would let our S/36 run until the UPS was crying for mercy and then shut
it down. Then upon power restoration she literally hit the Power button
the second the UPS came on line. One day we lost power again within 15
minutes and she didn't even make it into the Computer room before the
UPS checked out. Ugh.

3) There are three signals available: UPS on Utility Power, UPS on
Battery Power, UPS Batteries weak. When you go from Utility to Battery
you might want to Hold Jobq's, outq's, and such to prevent new work from
starting. Possibly notify people, all that. On Low battery you likely
will be shutting things down but it's possible with your UPS that
there's not enough time to shut down at that point. This is an important
thing to know!! You might need to begin shutdown before that point.

4) Do you have a GenSet? ALL the rules are different then. Usually
generators in under 15 seconds so if you don't get "Utility Power
Restored' within that time frame of the 'On Battery' signal, it's likely
not going to run. Most of my GenSet equipped customers have less than 5
minutes of UPS battery so in that case: "We've got a problem."

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis