If you are talking about the batteries INSIDE the 9406-720 itself, those will run for 7 seconds and then shutdown, even if the batteries are spanking new. The remainder of the battery life is reserved to hold the contents of the system's main memory up so that it can be copied to disk during the next (abormal) IPL.

As I recall the Eaton Powerware unit doesn't have a specific battery test. Even if it did, these tests are a 'best guess' based on a number of seconds on battery.

If you want a full length battery test follow this procedure:
Bring the system down to restricted condition (ENDSYS) and let it sit there for a few minutes. This will get the disk caches mostly cleared out.
Note the value of QUPSDLYTIM and then change it to 99999.
Now pull the power to the Eaton and count the time it takes to run out of battery. It's your call if you don't actually let it fail and plug it back in at say 10% of battery but to know how long you really have it's gotta die.
Once the Eaton unit powers off make sure the system does hang on for 6 or 7 seconds to at least know the internal 720 batteries are not totally dead.
Plug the UPS back in and let it charge for 30 minutes or more to put some life back into the batteries.
IPL, and remember to change QYPSDLYTIM back to it's previous setting.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis.