But the caveat here (and maybe someone already said it; sorry if I missed
it) is that regardless the permissions on your system, when you send them
via FTP they will be set to that system's default umask. Changes made to
permissions on your system will not carry forward elsewhere. If you're
sending another way (scp, for example, or via zip/tar file to be extracted)
things may be different.

Dennis Lovelady
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

You don't even have to go into the QShell environment - you can run the
qsh command simply from CL, as there

strqsh cmd('chmod 644 filename')

That's it. This always returns a QSH0005 message as a completion
message
by default. You might want to set an environment variable, so that an
error condition comes back as an escape message. The environment
variable is QIBM_QSH_CMD_ESCAPE_MSG and needs to be set to 'Y' to get
the escape message QSH0005 (when return status is > 0)

The first number is permissions for the owner of the object (read/write,
or *RW in CHGAUT, although I don't know if CHGAUT can set the unix
permissions the same way). The second number is for groups - a unix
group, there are some equivalents in IFS. It is read in this case. The
last number is for others - *PUBLIC is exactly the same - and is read
in
this case.

read = 4
write = 2
execute = 1

You add up what you want and use that number. There are several other
syntactical ways to do this in the chmod utility. There's a QShell
manual in InfoCenter.