We are trying to ftp a file from the iSeries to a windows server running
GlobalSCAPE EFT (v6.0). We are using FTP *SSL and we keep getting the
following message "Attempt to open connection failed." We can connect but
when we try to send or receive data we get the message. We have tried
SENDPASV 0, with no success.

We can connect and send using normal FTP (NON-secure).

We can connect and send using FileZilla. see log below (last one).

IBM support suggested it might be a firewall issue but we confirmed that
it is not (as we do utilize other FTPS instances). We have contacted the
FTP server's tech team and at this point they are contacting GlobalSCAPE.
We think it's at their end but just want to be sure there's nothing on our
end that we might be overlooking.

Below are the session details for three different FTP attempts from the
iSeries (V5R4). All three end with " Attempt to open connection failed.",
and you can see the login was successful.

FTP port(990)

Connecting to host 216-136-19-253.static.twtelecom.net at address
216.136.19.253 using port 990.
Connection is secure.

220 GlobalSCAPE EFT Server (v. 6.0)

userid password

331 Password required for userid.

230 Login OK. Proceed.

UNIX Type: L8

locsite namefmt 1

Client NAMEFMT is 1.

put /OIBXFER/PHYTEL_DEM_ARCHIVE/PhytelDem20101108084954375.dat
/PSTAT/x9.dat
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,181,109,96).

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /PSTAT/x9.dat.

Attempt to open connection failed.

FTP seccnn(*SSL)

Connecting to host 216-136-19-253.static.twtelecom.net at address
216.136.19.253 using port 21.
220 GlobalSCAPE EFT Server (v. 6.0)

234 AUTH Command OK. Initializing SSL connection.

Connection is secure.

userid password

331 Password required for userid.

230 Login OK. Proceed.

UNIX Type: L8

200 PBSZ Command OK. Protection buffer size set to 0.

200 PROT Command OK. Using Private data connection

Data protection level set to P.

locsite namefmt 1

Client NAMEFMT is 1.

put /OIBXFER/PHYTEL_DEM_ARCHIVE/PhytelDem20101108084954375.dat
/PSTAT/x8.dat
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,181,109,96).

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /PSTAT/x8.dat.
Attempt to open connection failed.

FTP SECCNN(*SSL)

Connecting to host 216-136-19-253.static.twtelecom.net at address
216.136.19.253 using port 21.
220 GlobalSCAPE EFT Server (v. 6.0)

234 AUTH Command OK. Initializing SSL connection.

Connection is secure.

userid password

331 Password required for userid.

230 Login OK. Proceed.

UNIX Type: L8

200 PBSZ Command OK. Protection buffer size set to 0.

200 PROT Command OK. Using Private data connection

Data protection level set to P.

locsite namefmt 1

Client NAMEFMT is 1.

sendpasv 0

SENDPASV is off.

put /OIBXFER/PHYTEL_DEM_ARCHIVE/PhytelDem20101108084954375.dat
/PSTAT/PhytelDem20101108084954375.dat
200 Command okay.

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for
/PSTAT/PhytelDem20101108084954375.dat.
Attempt to open connection failed.

Directory listing successful
message...
Response: 220 GlobalSCAPE EFT Server (v. 6.0)
Command: USER userid
Response: 331 Password required for userid.
Command: PASS ********
Response: 230 Login OK. Proceed.
Command: PBSZ 0
Response: 200 PBSZ Command OK. Protection buffer size set to 0.
Command: PROT P
Response: 200 PROT Command OK. Using Private data connection

All comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern - Information Technology
Programming Supervisor
IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
Lotus Notes/Domino 8.0.1 Administrator
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy this and all copies of this message.