Peter Dow wrote:

From your further explanation, it would appear that the CPYF tried to send the CPC2957 completion message, but failed to do
so because by that time the device was already not
communicating.

<<SNIP>>

For lack of both spooled joblog and spooled stack, both which would include timestamps and thus correlation betwixt, I had to make some assumptions about the times when the messages in the joblog actually transpired and what the programs were processing.

For example I had inferred the timing from the description [from a question actually] of the scenario; i.e. by asking "why did it pause at the CPC2957 completion message?" I had concluded that the message CPC2957 was visible in the active joblog when a DSPJOBLOG was issued before the reconnect.

So although I concentrated first on the completion, I tried to allude that it may have been instead, a status message, that caused the device failure to have been detected. From the timestamps, it could have been more obvious. From the given stack and that the reconnect produced the CPF5104 to the program writing to the QDDSPMSG, I had expected that it was status messaging which caused the device failure to be detected. Since status messaging is /recoverable/, I was hesitant to suggest that origin any more confidently, even with what was seemingly obvious support from the stack.

However I have since noticed that I *mistook* the file QDDSPMSG as an indication of the UIM message line. Obvious to me *now*, that by its naming, that *FILE object is the DSPF implementing the DSPMSG feature. I should have known something was amiss in my recollection of the status messaging, having seen QWTPECTL which confused me; i.e. it seemed out of place, but I simply ignored it. Ughh :-( Now I recall that program name as implementing the break\notify message event. The program QMHDLVMS "deliver message" and more importantly the program QMHDSMSS is "display message" *not* a "send status message" on which I had incorrectly based some comments.

I will review the given again, with that correction, and comment further in a separate reply.

Regards, Chuck