When I read Chuck's post and then Rob's post, I think they are both right.
Here is why

Rob and I are talking about upgrading from 5.4 to 5.4.5 or upgrading from
6.1 to 6.1.1. In these cases you aren't "Slipping the lic", you are doing
an upgrade which requires the I_BASE_01 and B2924_01 CD/DVDs. You don't
need to replace the LPPs during these two upgrades, but you do need to
install the cumulative and Group PTFs that you had prior to the modification
upgrade.

I think after reading Chucks response (a few times) he is correct with
talking about Slip the Lic. In the case where you might have a damaged
object or bad perm applied PTF - he is talking about replace the LIC (which
is what we call a SLIP the LIC). In this case, all we are doing is booting
to DST from a D mode IPL and replacing the LIC with the same version of LIC
that was there. Now, while you could replace it with a different version of
the LIC, then I would think that is part of an upgrade. Also, if you do this
replace of the LIC, you would lose all your PTFs on 57xx-999 that you had
installed and would have to load them again. You would get the PTFs for
57xx-999 that you had on your install media (could be I_BASE_01 or your
SAVSYS).

Chuck also talks about mix mode versions of LIC, i5/OS, and the LPPs, which
can be done during a side-by-side migration. Which you would use if you had
a 730 on V5R2, and just purchased a Power6 520 with V5R4M5 to migrate from
one machine to the other.

So, I don't think anyone was wrong, we are all talking correctly about
different things.

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions