That documentation section title clearly suggests that it is for replacing *both* LIC & OS.... So then should anyone be surprised that the documentation actually matches what the section title claims to document? Given there exists documentation for performing install A & install B in succession does not necessarily imply that neither A nor B are supported as standalone installs. I know in fact that over the same VRM they are and need to be, and the instructions at the link are for same VR#; i.e. same V(ersion-level) and R(elease-level) irrespective of M(odification-level). In my experience the steps in the manual for LIC install could be followed through to the last step, then from the "IPL or Install the System" panel, instead of choosing any /install/ option, choose 3="Use DST" to power down & restart the system because IIRC the option 1="Perform an IPL" gives an error saying "already IPLed" or some nonsense. Then applying the cumulative to the same as what was applied on the M0 [M-level zero] should bring the OS up to the same level as it was before; that is because the cumulative contains every PTF that is part of the [prior "resave" level] OS on media that would otherwise be installed using the instructions.

That Pete makes no mention of replacing the LPPs is circumstantial evidence that not all of the the documented steps are mandatory. So if any one part of the installation instructions can be omitted, then what of the other steps can be omitted? In fact there is a direct contradiction in what Pete suggests, to the referenced doc link in the quoted message; i.e. that doc suggests for "most upgrades, continue with Replacing the licensed programs," but that when "replacing software of the same version and release" which applies to the change of modification-level only, "do not replace any other licensed programs" and instead to "Complete the tasks in Checklist: Completing the replacement of the same i5/OS release." In those instructions, the QGPL, QUSRSYS, and OPTION(01) Extended Base support would *not* be included, but Pete suggests those too need to be reinstalled. So what really is correct?

I am still waiting to hear what was meant by the system\install "insists" that the OS also be installed. There was never any explanation given as to why [from what I recall as] the original system design, would have been vitiated by this apparent [but not clarified with a System Reference Code, or otherwise, as] requirement whereby one is /forced/ to install the OS, QGPL, QUSRSYS, & XTND, beyond just the LIC [and PTFs] as I expect.

Regards, Chuck

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
They ARE documented in such a way. There's a whole subsection in
the Infocenter titled "Replacing Licensed Internal Code and i5/OS
of the same version and release". For 6.1.1 it's at

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzahc/upgradesameversion.htm

I think I've really been harping on doing it this way the last
week or so.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=upgradesameversion.htm+site%3Amidrange.com

"Mark S. Waterbury" wrote:

Thanks for the clarifications.

A true "Slip the LIC" should only replace 57xx-999 (the SLIC kernel), and not have to "touch" anything else.

But, what you are saying is that you cannot really use the old "Slip the LIC" technique to upgrade from 540 to 545 or 610 to
611, because those upgrades actually require updating more than
just the SLIC kernel (57xx-999) apparently. :-o

If this is true, then those upgrades (from V5R4M0 to V5R4M5 or V6R1M0 to V6R1M1) should be documented in such a way as to
avoid any confusion, so that people do not think they can "just
slip the LIC" to do those upgrades.