I don't (beat my head against the wall, that is). I usually apply PTFs
remotely from home. In doing this once about a year ago, the LAN console
wouldn't come back afterward. This was Saturday morning, I drove into work
and called Supportline. They walked me through the "65/21" (I think) on the
front panel to switch to twinax and back. It came up. Supportline said
sometimes it gets 'confused' and needs slapped around a bit. I won't need
that 65/21 again for a couple of years.

I liked your "Since the documents refer you to nonexistent web sites and
stuff, it shouldn't take long to get stuck." Priceless.