From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Cunningham
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:40 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: V6R1 partition integration with V5R4 partition?

Partition question from a partition newbie.

We have an HR/Payroll/Financials ERP system that is only certified to run
under V5R4 and we have been told it will not be certified to run V6R1. In
order to go to V6R1 we have to move to a different version of the ERP
software. That system is going to be replaced so upgrading is not an option
and it is looking like it will be 1-2 years (most likely 2) before the
replacement is ready to go. We run lots of our own code on this same i5 and
would like to get to V6R1 sooner than 2 years from now. We are also looking
at a hardware upgrade soon and can't get a power 6+ if we stay on V5R4. We
currently run only one partition and there is a lot of access to the
HR/Payroll/Financials database from our own code using native opcodes. If we
used partitions on the new box and had the main partition as V6R1 and had a
V5R4 partition to run just our HR/Payroll/Financials software, can the V6R1
and V5R4 partitions interact at all or are they treated like two physically
different boxes? Coul!
d an RPG app running in V6R1 do READ/CHAIN commands against the database in
the V5R4 partition? Can the IFS be shared between partitions? I did do
development many years ago on two physically different S/38 and used DDM
files to access the remote database. DDM is still part of i5 OS so my guess
would be that would be one way to allow the RPG apps to access the V5R4
database.