Depends whose research you believe, and what tools you have to look into the
possibility of embezzlement etc.

At a former employer I did document embezzlement, where I used paper records
to prove it, after I found suspicious patterns of inventory transactions,
then dug into everything to figure out how it was happening.

Well I thought it was embezzlement when employees have a pattern of errors
that puts $$$$ into their pockets that they would not otherwise "earn", but
management review of my findings said that "anyone can make mistakes", and
this is not embezzlement, especially when it is fellow managers doing the
mistakes ... "embezzlement is only when lower hierarchy employees have such
patterns, then take their wrongful earnings with them on a one way trip to
South America" according to that former employer.

According to the recent Verizon study, approx 1/3 of breaches are due to
your trading partners ... the other companies you share your computer data
with, like tech support places, ma bell ISPs, banks, customers, vendors,
auditors, the government, etc.

Direct link:
http://www.verizonbusiness.com/resources/security/reports/2009_databreach_rp
.pdf

I have read the report & shared conclusions what I got out of it with Linked
In group TITSSN, and other contacts, can pass that on to you off-list if you
interested.

Maybe this thread should move to Non-tech or some other list.

-
Al Mac