From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark S. Waterbury
Sent: 03 April 2009 19:09
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: SAVLIB to FTP where files > 1tb

Hi, Michael:

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your requirements. My bad. ...

(Also apologize for the duplicate post.)

You might want to look at a product like this one:

http://www.laservaultbackup.com/
and
http://www.laservaultbackup.com/index.php?q=node/6
and
http://www.laservaultbackup.com/index.php?q=node/11

Of course, you could also "roll your own" version of the above, with save files, then FTP them off to a PC server with large, inexpensive
disks.

HTH,

Mark

> Michael Bolland wrote:
Hi Mark,

That sounds very similar to what we have MIMIX doing at the moment -
we
currently have two boxes Live and Backup - the live system is
replicated
to Backup using MIMIXHA and then we currently backup the backup system
every night (BRMS option 20) and finally a BRMS Option 21 on Sunday.

We're using probably at least 40 3590's a night and even more on a
full
backup.

What I want to do now is replace the tape backups of the backup system
with an FTP server (which would be located externally to our business
and wouldn't necessarily run AS400 (probably not if we need cheap
disks)
and would no doubt be connected on it's own gigabit crossover cable.

I will definitely look into some journaling scenarios as it might be
an
answer to a problem but it does sound to me like you're asking me to
buy
another ISeries (and buy more disks for that system which is one of
the
biggest issues atm - especially for backups).

Regards

Mike