Hi, Nick:

Even if you have Twinax cable or baluns, you cannot just plug them into the back of the AS/400 ... you need a cable-box that has a special cable that plugs into the back of the AS/400, and the other end, the large box, has ports for 4 or 8 twinax connections. You must plug the console into the one numbered "0" (zero).

Also, you cannot just plug-in a PC into the Ethernet and run it as a LAN console. If you do that, and if you managed to change the system (via the front panel, 21, 65, etc. method described in other replies), then the system is going to grab that ethernet card for exclusive use of the console, and you will not be able to use it for any normal TCP/IP traffic. I doubt this is what you want.

The other choice that others have mentioned is a special "Operations Navigator" or "iSeries Navigator" cable that plugs into a special serial port on the back of the AS/400 and plugs into the serial port on the PC -- this is not a normal serial cable; you have to get it from IBM, and they were not cheap; around $100, if I recall correctly, and that is if you can even still order them from IBM.

I think your best bet is, now that you (apparently) have a genuine twinax terminal, to get one of the twinax boxes with the 8 ports, as those are the ones used with the model 270, and then plug in with either a short length of genuine twinax cable, or use baluns, as you suggest. However, note that Twinax baluns usually use standard telephone cord with RJ11 connectors, and not ethernet cable, as you suggested in your e-mail below.

You must also ensure that your twinax terminal is set to "address 0" so it will be recognized as the console. This is normally done through a special "set-up" key on the keyboard, or by holding down the space bar when powering on the terminal. (There is usually a small booklet with instructions inside the "base" of the terminal that tells you how to do this stuff.)

This way, once you IPL, and can sign-on to the console as QSECOFR, you will then be able to configure the ethernet card, etc., and then you can assign an IP address to the As/400, etc.

Note also that since the As/400 is a server, you cannot expect it to just "get an IP address" from your local network DNS server. :-o You must assign an IP address to the AS/400. This will depend on how your local network is configured; usually your router, etc., will have a way to reserve a range of addresses that will not be dynamically assigned by DNS.

Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out.

Regards,

Mark S. Waterbury

> Nick Litten wrote:
"...but you would have been better to remove the
Twinax card and just go Ops Console, use the 21+65 procedure to switch to
one of the internal Ethernet ports, load Client Access with Operations
Console and you are all set."

I know I'm probably being dense here... but how can you do this if you cant
IPL the machine in the first place because of no console?

I have exactly the same problem... just got a little model 270 (ebay
special) for playing at home.. groaned when I realised it didnt come with a
console.. so got a console off ebay... and groaned this morning when it
arrived and I realised I didnt have any twinax...

So, I';ve just ordered a pair of Twinax Baluns so I can connect with some
Ethernet cable...

I want to plug it into my home network, but need the console to configure
the ethernet/400 pieces...

/me slaps himself on the forehead

--
Nick Litten
IT Consultant @ projex dot com

surfing(http://www.projex.com) | typing(nick@xxxxxxxxxx) |
skyping(nick.litten) | twittering(finkpad)