I have done some work with the Integrated Windows servers and running a Linux partition on an iSeries but just in testing to see what it took. Now there is a possibility we will need to run an AIX partition on our iSeries and I am curious about how some aspects of this would work.

I currently do not use an HMC as I only run one i5/os partition, and on the test system we put Linux on we used the built in HMC that is part of i5/os. I would assume I would need an external HMC if I did run a AIX partition. Is this correct or at least best practice?

My biggest area of interest is in how the AIX partition disk space is managed. Is all of the AIX disk visible to the core i5/os partition in the same way Windows disk space is visible? So a full backup of the core i5/os partition includes the aix disk space as a single object? (Good for disaster recover but not for single file restores). Can the AIX disk space be mounted and made visible to the IFS so the i5/os partition can access any individual file on the aix disk space? If the AIX space is mounted under the IFS could a backup of the i5/os IFS space backup each individual file from the AIX space?