John

Short-form comment - use the feedback link on each IBM page to tell THEM there is a problem.

Long-form comment - I agree that things can be confusing on IBM's site. But perhaps this forum is not the one to go to, in order to get things changed. First, having barely managed a teeny tiny site myself, I simply cannot imagine the scope that IBM is dealing with. Yes, other sites, like Microsoft, do seem easier. But I can say that IBM is responsive to our comments, IF we use the tools on the site pages themselves.

Second, we don't know the problem any other person is seeing, hence, WE cannot tell IBM what the problems are that we do not perceive.

Third, I agree with Trevor, that we need a strong, united front that actively promotes this platform - yes, it is frustrating at times to deal with IBM on any level - try being a partner sometime - same thing with any large monolithic vendor - but I can say, cuz we are there, that IBM are trying to address things.

So let us, then, take issues of presentation directly to IBM - keep it somewhat close to the vest - perception is reality, and we can help that perception, methinks. We do have some effect on that perception.

Regards
Vern

Jones, John (US) wrote:
IBM apparently doesn't think i is particularly different from i5/OS. In fact, the V6R1 Information Center still calls it i5/OS. As of this month IBM still has not even bothered to search/replace i5/OS with i (see the Memo to Users: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/i5os/topic/rzaq9/rzaq9.pdf).

FTM, Info Center still calls the hardware System i when they should be using Power Systems. According to the i home page at http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/, "Power Systems including AS/400, iSeries, and System i", Power Systems is the appropriate name for all server hardware running i, and by inference, i5/OS and OS/400.

It's hard to believe the products are new/different when the vendor refuses to use the right names on a consistent basis.

And if I were exploring the i OS and Power Systems hardware for the first time, I would be horribly confused.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Sr. Analyst, Global Information Security