Bruce,

Well, it may be stretching things a little, but at one time OS/2 was strategic (1987):
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/pc25/pc25_tenyears.html
(Wasn't SAA - also mentioned at the above link - also "strategic" at one point?)

OS/2 was called a "strategic network platform" as late as 1997 (page 3 below):
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg242009.pdf

In this 1995 publication at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/books/sh126402.pdf
on page 62:
"Systems Application Architecture (SAA). Pertaining
to an architecture defining a set of rules for designing a
common user interface, programming interface,
application programs, and communications support for
strategic operating systems such as the OS/2, OS/400,
VM/370, and MVS/370 operating systems."

Lotus Domino ("another strategic application for e-business") while not dead yet certainly doesn't seem to be getting a great deal of promotion (like another product we could name):
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=an&subtype=ca&supplier=897&appname=IBMLinkRedirect&letternum=ENUS200-145

There are other examples of IBM's (over) use of the word "strategic" over recent history.
Microchannel Bus, OV/400, Token Ring, Smalltalk.
If you go back far enough wasn't twinax once "strategic" ?

Neil Palmer, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

(This account not monitored for personal mail,
remove the last two letters before @ for that)