What version of HMC? 7 or higher I pray.

Remote sessions are extremely easy. HMC 7 and above just make the remote
access to the GUI part of the HMC much easier. In fact, the HMC starts
using the exact same browser interface that your PC would be using.

Either way, when you start a console session on it make it a "shared"
console and not a "dedicated" console. Remember the "session key". Adopt
a standard. Some shops use a separate session key for every lpar. Some
shops use the same session key for all lpars. I suppose there are some
that generate it random to stop people from viewing or using your session.
We're in the first camp.
Then follow:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/hw/index.jsp?topic=/iphb8/remote5250.htm
Important points:
- Connect to the HMC, not the system name. You'll need to know a HMC user
id and password. Everyone in the department uses hscroot. Your shop
standard may differ.
- Connect on port 2300 if not using SSL, 2301 if you are. If you don't
know, try 2300 first. Your normal 5250 session connects on port 23.
- That stuff about Q#HMC...

Try it when you get a minute so that you'll have it down when you need it.
I use it a lot over VPN and stuff when I am offsite.