I think the reason for this is that IBM was in the 24th
century with respect to DB development, while the rest of
the computer industry in the 18th century.

I disagree. What we had (and still have if you use RLA) was a procedural
programming model. We had to tell data-management "how" to get the data
we wanted. In the new (SQL) model we tell data-management "what" we want
and leave it up to data-management to figure out "how" to do its job.
This is no different from the previous advances in storage management
(remember clusters heads and sectors) or communications (RTS/CTS
management).

--
Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software