On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Steve Richter <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
just asking about things I dont understand. Why is there not a decent
CMD language interface to AIX? Instead of IBM having 4 techs on the

There is? I still think that the Unix commandline (especially with a
modern shell and full autocompletion) is vastly superior for
interactive use than any of the alternatives. There is no other
commandline with such a vast array of utilities available to read
mail, surf the web, control multiple virtual screens, etc. pp.

line with me for 40 minutes I would think it would be better to write
and ship a better PuTTY, one that could figure out that a console

PuTTY is an SSH Client and vt100+extensions emulator. Like a 5250
emulator. It doesn't have anything to do with how the system works.

session cant be started when another is already active. I assume a
3rd party could write such a program, just dont know if it has been
written or not.

Configuring the console of a System is an extremely low level task,
only to be done by experienced system administrators. That means
you'll have a steep learning curve when starting with a new platform.
And the i on Blade throws quite a few platforms at you: the AMM, VIOS,
etc. For example, look at the same task on the IBM i side: the 65+21
mess you have when you don't have a HMC. I wouldn't exactly call that
the better solution - they're about the same.