If the whole proble is a BPCS key issue then the memory upgrade/DASD is the only upgrade you could do that would not effect the system model number.
I believe that if you upgrade the interactive feature then you will change the model number which will mean you need a new set of software keys, both OS/400 and third party software.

there are lots of place that sell used memory. I have used:
in the past.